Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gooey Ducks


As I faithful blogger, I pride myself on being able to expose my readers to new and exciting discoveries in the world. So today is no exception. Seafood/ shellfish lovers, this one's for you. I've found something that should really make you think. While watching Discovery Channel I discovered Geo Ducks pronounced Gooey Ducks and it totally blew my mind. A Geo Duck is the world's largest clam located in the Pacific Northwest. These clams burrow several feet into the ground and stay there for several years before being harvested. Geoducks grow rapidly, generally reaching 1.5 pounds in three to five years. They attain their maximum size by about 15 years, and can live at least as long as 168 years. The term Gooey Duck is of Native American Origin and means "Dig Deep".

These things are fascinating to watch but churning to the stomach. When you go to a restaurant and order clams, you think you are getting the clams that come in the cute little shells that sometimes house the pearls. This may not always be the case. The best thing to do is ask where your clam comes from before you order it. But then again, the Gooey Duck may not be half bad, just big as hell. Click on this link for more information on the Geo Duck:

No comments: